Building Permits

Permits, Submissions and Costs

Q. What do I need to submit to get a permit to build a new house?

A. You will require the following complete sets of drawings (including site plans).

  • 3 sets of structural/Architectural plans.
  • 3 sets of engineered foundation design
  • Loading on concrete telepost pads or pies
  • Wood and/or steel beam sizes
  • Geo-tech report (if applicable)
  • 3 sets of engineered roof truss design
  • 3 sets of roof truss layout(s)
  • 3 sets of engineered floor truss design
  • 3 sets of floor truss layout(s)
  • Residential mechanical ventilation design summary
  • Manufacturer’s installation specs for fireplace/woodstove


Q. What do I need to submit to get a permit to build an addition to my house?

A. You require 3 complete sets of drawings (including site plan or surveyors certificate, if available).


Q. Do I need to have an engineer/architect involved?

A. You will be required to provide plans bearing the signature and seal of an architect or engineer licensed to practice in the Province of Saskatchewan if the design involves a pile/grade beam style foundation, or involves any other type of construction that falls outside the scope of Part 9 of the National Building Code of Canada 1995.

Q. Where/how do I get a permit for electrical work? How much does it cost?

A. Phone Sask Power. Sask Power follows their own fee schedule.

Q. Where/how do I get a permit for plumbing work? How much does it cost?

A. Plumbing permits are available at the Town of White City Municipal Office. Permit prices are $40.00 for the first 10 fixtures and $5.00 each for each additional fixture. Permits must be signed by the plumber.

Q. How close can I build my house, my carport, my garage, my shed to the property line?

A. Depends on the requirements in the zoning district (refer to the Zoning Bylaw) and residential sideyard requirements. For garages and sheds refer to the detached accessory building requirements.

Q. Can a cantilever encroach into the required sideyard or frontyard setback?

A. If the cantilever is not part of the foundation, it can encroach into the frontyard and sideyard setback as long as it does not exceed the overhang of the house.

A cantilever is a beam supported on only one end. The beam carries the load to the support where it is resisted by moment and shear stress. Cantilever construction allows for overhanging structures without external bracing.


Q. Who should be contacted to locate lines and services underground?

A. To avoid serious injury or disruption of utility services, you should contact the following utility agencies at least 48 hours prior to digging, so that all utility lines can be properly located. There is no fee for this service.

Call before you dig

Sasktel, Sask Energy, Sask Power (cable locates)



Development Permits

Development permits are required for all buildings, including sheds and tent buildings.

  • A moveable shed shall not be larger than 10 square metres and 2.5 metres in height, ground to roof peak. Side yards and back yards for moveable sheds must be respected with exception of those that do not have a foundation or cement structure.
  • For those moveable sheds which are not on a foundation or cement floor the side and/or rear yard distance may be 0 (zero) metres, with consent of the property line owner. Subject to the consent agreement, such consent will be binding upon the homeowner and property line owner for the time set forth in the consent.

Access Development Permit