TOWN OF WHITE CITY
Temporary Public Works Assistant Position
Job Description –January 2017
Resumes accepted : In person/ fax - 306-781-2194/ saskjobs online noc7621
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
Currently this is a temporary full time, position which may lead to permanent employment.
The Public Works Assistant is responsible to assist the Town Foreman with the efficient operation and maintenance of the Town’s roads (streets), utilities, park areas, and Town equipment. The Public Works Assistant will be directly supervised by the Town Foreman.
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Work Plan
To meet the objectives of the work plan, and incorporate the duties as per job description. The work plan to be reviewed on an annual basis with the Public Works Manager and Town Foreman.
2. Operation and Maintenance - Job Description
- This position reports directly to the Town Foreman.
- Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Road Maintenance including snow clearing
- Park Maintenance
- Equipment Maintenance - Town equipment, which may include skidsteer, trucks, snow plows, mowers and hand and power tools must be operated safely with preventative and regular maintenance performed, as required
- Water Meter Installation - assist with water and sewer utilities and perform the tasks required that the Town is responsible for, to provide uninterrupted service to residents.
- Pesticide Application if licensed.
2. Public Works Assistant-Job Description
-Preparation of reports to the Town Foreman, indicating work performed and actions taken.
-Must be available to respond to emergency calls, rotating with the Town Foreman to be on
-Updating of the maintenance log on all Town equipment.
-Maintain orderly files on inventory, ensure adequate supply of material
kept on hand, and employ efficient and cost effective measures to maintain
-Respond to any other duties, as assigned by the Town Foreman.
-To be able to be a backup for the Town Foreman, in his absence.
-Handle residents concerns rationally and effectively if assigned by the Town Foreman.
-The Town may require you to perform bylaw enforcement duties, on periodic basis. This
could include dog pickup, serving of notices, note bylaw infractions, etc.
3. Qualifications & Education:
-Grade 12 Education, plus good working knowledge and experience
in electrical, plumbing, utility maintenance, facility and grounds maintenance.
-Be able to operate and maintain all Town equipment.
-Knowledge and ability to perform general maintenance duties.
-Must be able to resolve general maintenance problems.
-Must be able to prepare and maintain adequate records,charts and reports.
-Possess a valid class 5 Saskatchewan driver’s license; maintain a good driving record to
operate Town equipment.
-Must be able to respond to emergency calls on a 24 hour basis, if required to.
-Pesticide/Herbicide Applicator licenses required, or willingness to obtain licenses.
-Able to perform physical labour duties on a daily basis involving lifting, manual
snow removal/lawn cutting, minor signage/road repairs, etc.
-To diagnose problems, repair, troubleshoot, or arrange for repair.
-Ability to interact diplomatically to determine or mediate a solution
when encountering difficult or confrontational individuals.
-Must be a team player and be able to deal effectively with the public and administration.
- 40 Hours/week, Monday to Friday, some weekends.
- Salary range is $21.64-$26.30/ hour. Dependent upon qualifications, knowledge, skills, and work performance.
Open Employment Opportunity: